Picture
Spring is nearly here and we can hardly wait given the long cold winter we survived in the Northeast.  It is time to get your bird houses in shape for birds who will be soon seeking nesting  houses.

Just take each house, open it up and clean it out so that it is ready to accept a new nesting pair.  We find that the same pairs seek the same house out each year to make their nests and birds do have "favorite" houses.  Our most popular bird houses are the ones that are up on top of a post.  They are well away from branches and the ground making it more difficult for predators (racoons, bears, snakes) to reach the nests.

Also, you will want to scrub your birdbaths with bleach and water and make sure you've scrubbed away any scum buildup that may have occurred over the winter.

And, same for the feeders.  Our feeders really got a workout over this winter and we continue to feed the birds throughout the Spring so that they can focus on having their young and not having to worry as much about food sources.  It's important for the health of the birds that the feeders are clean and well maintained.

Enjoy.  You'll hear the tender chirping of young birds in a few weeks.

Comments

04/02/2015 12:54am

My little son is holding the meeting of kiddos who are taking care of bird houses. They always watch the state of birds houses and birdbaths in our neighbourhood

01/04/2017 4:10am

Muscle XTX Is very important for the prevention and treatment Muscle XTX of coronary heart disease, heart failure diabetes.

05/16/2016 8:14pm

I don't know if it's just my peculiarity but I do not like the idea of locking a bird into cages to have them a pets. They are blessed by God with beautiful wings to sail and embrace the heavens and fly away with all their might. This article is a perfect example of building proper connections with these majestic winged creatures. It provides shelter and abode to them without locking them up. Its like having your friends go camping at your backyard. Well, your winged friends on that note. Anyway, I will definitely try this one! Can't wait to hear those tender chirping of young birds in my backyard.

10/06/2016 8:45pm

This year, before the winter, I'd like to buy such house for birds! It's so hard for them to find what to eat at winter!

04/20/2017 2:46pm

My little child may be holding the meeting for kiddos who need aid dealing with winged animal houses. They dependably watch those state from claiming winged creatures houses and birdbaths On our neighborhood.

04/21/2017 2:57am

The next winter I will make my own bird houses. I want to help them!

Author

Jacqueline Totten is a bird lover whose backyard is a true haven for many different wild birds, squirrels, deer, rabbits, fox and an occasional bear.  She keeps the local Feed & Grain in business during the winter months with the amount of bird seed purchased.